Senior Research Fellow in Cardiovascular Physiology
I joined the Faculty of Medical Sciences of Newcastle University in 2009, having moved from London to Newcastle. I completed Doctoral training in Clinical Cardiovascular Physiology and Heart Failure at Buckinghamshire University and Harefield Hospital (London, UK) under the mentorship of Prof David Brodie and Prof Sir Magdi Yacoub. Prior to my doctoral training I also completed an MSc (Brunel University, London) and BSc (University of Belgrade, Serbia) as the best student of the year. Due to excellent academic achievements at undergraduate and postgraduate level I received several highly prestigious scholarships and awards, including those from Serbian Royal Family, Government of Serbia, Brunel and Buckinghamshire Universities.
Currently I am developing research programmes in cardiovascular ageing, heart failure and exercise within the multidisciplinary team consisted of clinicians, allied health professionals, basic and behavioural scientists. My work is supported by the UK Medical Research Council grant to the Newcastle Centre for Ageing and Vitality.
Invited ad hoc reviewer for:
- • Peer reviewed scientific journals including: International Journal of Cardiology, BMJ Heart, European Journal of Heart Failure, American Journal of Cardiology, Future Cardiology, European Journal of Applied Physiology, Journal of Cardiac Failure, Journal of Clinical Monitoring and Computing, Circulation Heart Failure.
- • Research grant awarding bodies including: National Institute for Health Research, Medical Research Council, Heart Research UK, Austrian Science Fund.
Editorial board member for the scientific journal Heart Health: Open Access (USA, Aperito)
Professional membership: European Society of Cardiology, European Association for Heart Failure, European Association for Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, American College of Sports Medicine, European Working Groups on Myocardial Function.
- Jakovljevic DG, Papakonstantinou L, Blamire AM, MacGowan GA, Taylor R, Hollingsworth KG, Trenell MI. (2014) The effect of daily physical activity on age-related changes in cardiac function and performance in women. Circulation Cardiovascular Imaging (under review).
- Jakovljevic DG, McDiarmid A, Hallsworth K, Seferovic PM, Parry G, Schueler S, Trenell MI, MacGowan GA, (2014) The effect of left ventricular assist device implantation and heart transplantation on physical activity and quality of life. American Journal of Cardiology, 114(1):88-93.
- Jones T, Houghton D, Cassidy S, MacGowan GA, Trenell MI, Jakovljevic DG. (2014) Bioreactance is reliable method for estimating cardiac output at rest and during exercise. British Journal of Anaesthesiology (accepted).
- Jakovljevic DG, MacGowan GA, Trenell MI. (2014) Bioimpedance and bioreactance methods for monitoring cardiac output. Best Practice & Research: Clinical Anaesthesiology, (accepted).
- Ashor AW, Siervo M, Lara J, Celis-Morales C, Oggioni C, Jakovljevic DG, Mathers JC. (2014) Exercise modalities and endothelial function: A systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Sports Medicine (accepted).
For full list of publications follow the Pubmed link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=jakovljevic+dg
For full citation and h-index follow the Google Scholar link: http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=ifsD-rkAAAAJ&hl=en
For RG score follow the Research Gate link: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Djordje_Jakovljevic
Phone: +44 (0)191 208 8257